Organising iKNOW Workshop in Prague: Day 1 (Wild Cards)
The Czech Technology Centre of the Academy of Sciences and the University of Manchester organised an interactive workshop in Prague on 29th and 30th March 2010. The workshop is part of the iKNOW project’s activities aimed to discuss the impact of unexpected events on European research and development (R&D) and look at the implications this may have on future R&D priorities, innovation, growth and sustainability.
The workshop focused on surprising events (e.g. wild cards) and emerging issues (including weak signals) with four groups looking at three overlapping themes: Information and Communication Technologies, Security and Nuclear Research.
The workshop had five main objectives:
- To introduce the Wild Card approach and our Grand Challenges list
- To analyse and evaluate Wild Cards from the iKnow library
- To generate new Wild Cards which are relevant to selected themes
- To look at the relationship between Wild Cards and Weak Signals
- To explore implications for policy, research and technology development
Twenty wild card situations were discussed during the first day of the workshop.